Wilburton is a small village of just over 1,000 inhabitants, situated in Cambridgeshire. It is approximately 6 miles south west of Ely.
While nominally an agricultural village, many of the residents work in Cambridge, Ely, London or surrounding areas, as there are excellent rail links from Ely.
Wilburton is a parish of around 4200 acres lying on the important medieval route from Earith to Stretham, and extending south to the River Great Ouse. As much of the land in the region is fenland, the village’s position on the ridge between Stretham and Haddenham at the southern end of the Isle of Ely was important in its growth and success.
Unusually for the area, the village contains a number of attractive old buildings, and was described in the 19th century as “very neat and contains some excellent houses”. These include the Burystead (the former manor house, built c.1600), one of the few surviving half-timbered houses in the region, and the Victoria Place row of cottages.
Listed as Wilburhtun in 970 and Wilbertone in the Domesday Book, the name “Wilburton” means “Farmstead or village of a woman called Wilburh”